The 5-day HSR Initial OHS Training Course (WorkSafe Victoria Approved) will provide HSRs and Deputy HSRs with the information and skills required to successfully exercise their powers as a Health and Safety Representative under the Victorian OHS legislation. The HSR Initial OHS Training Course will equip HSRs/Deputy HSRs with the confidence skills and knowledge to represent their designated work group and to help make their workplace safer.
The HSR Initial OHS Training Course, although primarily developed for HSRs and Deputy HSRs, is also relevant for managers, supervisors, Health and Safety Committee members and any other person who has an interest in learning about and promoting health and safety in the workplace.
The HSR Initial OHS Training Course is interactive; activity based and will provide all participants with OHS knowledge and skills to take back and implement in their workplace. The HSR Initial OHS Training Course learning objectives are:
- Interpreting the occupational health and safety legislative framework and its relationship to the HSR.
- Identifying key parties and their legislative obligations and duties.
- Establishing representation in the workplace.
- Participating in consultation and issue resolution.
- Represent designated work group members in any OHS risk management process undertaken by the appropriate duty holder/s.
- Issuing a Provisional Improvement Notice (PIN) and directing the cessation of work.
HSR Initial OHS Training Course Pre-requisites
There are no pre-requisites for the HSR Initial OHS Training Course.
HSR Initial OHS Training Course Delivery Method
The HSR Initial OHS Training Course is delivered face-to-face over 5 days between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm (i.e. week one x 3 days; week two x 2 days). There is a limit of 20 participants per training session. Each participant will receive:
- Comprehensive course manual
- Official hard copy of the Victorian Occupation Health and Safety Act 2004
- Resources that can be used back in the workplace.
Participants will also receive a Certificate of Attendance on completion of the 5 days.
HSR Initial OHS Training Course Dates
- Code: HSRI-PC-0725 Monday 25 July 2016 (Mon 25/7, Tues 26/7, Wed 27/7, Mon 1/8, Tues 2/8)
- Code: HSRI-PC-1017 Monday 17 October 2016 (Mon 17/10, Tues 18/10, Wed 19/10, Mon 24/10, Tues 25/10)
HSR Initial OHS Training Course Investment
The investment to complete the HSR Initial OHS Training Course is $990.00 + GST.
If enrolling to complete the HSR Initial OHS Training Course online, please note that payment is required to complete the registration. Following receipt of your enrollment, you will be requested by email to complete a “HSR Initial OHS Training Course Training Registration Form”.
If you would prefer Action OHS Consulting to issue your workplace an invoice for you to attend the HSR Initial OHS Training Course, please contact us. Our administration team will then contact you and issue an invoice (if requested).
For a price for Action OHS Consulting to deliver the HSR Initial OHS Training Course (5-days) at your workplace, please contact us directly for more information. Significant deductions in the investment may be applied for workplaces that run the HSR Initial OHS Training Course onsite.
- If registering online 28 days prior to the scheduled HSR Initial OHS Training Course commencement, you will be eligible for a 5% discount. When enrolling, please type the COURSE CODE (HSRI-PC-0725 or HSRI-PC-1017) in the Promotional Code box and click on Apply Code to obtain this discount.
- If registering three or more workers online to attend the same HSR Initial OHS Training Course, you will be eligible for a 10% discount. When enrolling, please type 10% in the Promotional Code box and click on Apply Code to obtain this discount.
HSR/Deputy HSR Entitlements
Section 67 of the OHS Act 2004 entitles HSRs and Deputy HSRs to attend a WorkSafe Victoria Approved ‘HSR Initial OHS Training Course’ after being elected. HSRs and Deputy HSRs also have the right to choose the HSR Initial OHS Training Course they attend (in consultation with their employer). The employer must allow the HSR/DHSR time off work with pay and also pay reasonable costs associated with attendance at the HSR Initial OHS Training Course.
Action OHS Consulting has been approved by WorkSafe Victoria to deliver the HSR Initial OHS Training Course. In addition, our Trainers have also been approved by WorkSafe Victoria and have the requisite skills, knowledge and understanding of OHS Legislation as applicable to the powers, entitlements and protection of HSRs and Deputy HSRs.
HSR Initial OHS Training Course: Additional Notes
- Refreshments (tea, coffee, water) are provided throughout the HSR Initial OHS Training Course. Participants can bring their own lunch or purchase from local restaurants.
- Training venue is centrally located in Melbourne CBD and is accessible by public transport. Parking is also available close to all venues.
Attendance at each full day of the HSR Initial OHS Training Course is compulsory. Certificates cannot be issued in circumstances where the participant has missed a full or partial day of the HSR Initial OHS Training Course.