Newly released health and safety codes and legislation – May 2020
Safe Work Australia
Prohibited Asbestos Amendment
Safe Work Australia has introduced an amendment to the Model Work Health Safety Act and Regulations. This amendment sees the introduction of a Prohibited Asbestos Notice, that can be issued by the regulator with or instead of other improvement or prohibition notices.
Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2019
July sees the commencement of the final amendments to the being introduced to the Workers’ Compensation Act 2019, including:
- Self-insured employers will be required to report injuries and payments.
- Unpaid interns will be covered by workers’ compensation insurance.
- Rehabilitation and Return to Work Coordinators training amendments.
Preparing for a pandemic | A guide for employers
Proposed changes to Return to Work Legislation 2020
NT WorkSafe have tabled The Return to Work Legislation Amendment Bill 2020 in parliament during February 2020. The changes proposed see a number previous changes introduced in 2015 being reversed. Key proposed changes include:
- Expanding the number of diseases and conditions, including PTSD for first responders.
- Claims in relation to journey and travel in relation to call outs are included
- Changes to meaning of worker and a blanket approach to Labour hire workers are all classifying them as employees for insurance purposes.
- Introduction of a number of changes to payments, including over payments and caps placed after certain periods.
Summary of Changes:
New South Wales
Excavation Work | Code of Practice | January 2020
First Aid in the Workplace | Code of Practice | January 2020